The Best Ways To Childproof Your Internet
Kids nowadays know more about gadgets than adults. From PC’s to Smartphone’s they can operate it all. It may make you feel proud as a parent to see your kids learn something new, but their innocent act can get them into trouble if you do not take proper care. There are plenty of websites that are unsafe for children. So as a parent you must make sure that they do not access them. Here’s how you can protect your child from the online demons:
- Web filtering– It is one of the basic thing you can do to protect your child from online troubles. You can set up web filtering on your router. Some of the best filtering software’s are OpenDNS, Netgear, Net Nanny, Norton family etc. It’s better to filter the router, because once you filter the router you need not filter individual systems again.Open DNS offers free and premium version of their software that consists of preconfigured adult content filtering. It also allows custom filtering and security settings as well. Netgear offers parental control that can be used by both Windows and Mac users. It blocks up to 50 categories of internet content and can protect you from scams and identity thefts. Net Nanny is ranked as the number one parental control software. From internet filtering to time management and social media management this software can do it all. One year licensed version of Net Nanny for Windows and Mac OS X costs $39.99. Norton family is software that performs similar function that also works on both Mac and Windows.
- For Windows users – Windows provides free program for Parental control. It offers Activity reports, time restrictions, game restriction, and program restriction. Apart from family safety filter you get access to family safety website, which is a central online location where you can choose and manage settings for each family member along with activity reports. With the parental control you can set up better safety settings for your computer. It’s there for every Windows user. If you are using Windows 7 then click start and in search programs and files, type parental controls and sign in with your administrator account and set as required. If you are a Windows 8 user then you will have to go to start and then type family safety to activate it.
- For Mac – If you are using Mac OS X v 10.5, 10.6 then you will have to go to the Apple menu and choose system preferences. From View menu choose parental controls. Now select the user account that you would like to enable filtering for, and click enable parental control. After that click the content tab and choose any of the three modules(unrestricted, automatic mode that blocks adult websites and whitelist, where you will be able to view limited website that are on the list).
Apart from laptops and PC’s kids also use cell phones and tablets, and they can get access to all of the stuffs that are blocked in their PC through these devices. So, you must make sure to give restricted access to mobile devices as well.
- Windows phone – Windows phone running on Windows 8 has parental control feature called my family. However, it currently restricts app and game download and nothing more. So, if you want to make your Windows phone more secure then use a password to lock screen. In case a child is using the phone then make sure that they do not download unwanted stuffs.
- iOS – You can restrict the access to your iOS device by tapping settings> general>tap restriction. Now enable restriction and enter a passcode. It will help you block Safari, facetime, iTunes store etc. You can also prevent your child from accessing movies, TV shows, books apps etc.
- Android – Unlike Apple, Android devices do not come with any special parental control. For that you will have to download apps from the Google play store like App Lock, Fast App lock, App Lock (Smart App Protector) etc that can lock certain apps. You can download them from Google play store for free and run them on your Android device.