Father’s Day Special : 5 Entrepreneurial Lessons You Learned From Your Dad
Father’s day is always special, though it’s true that there cannot be a single day to tell your father how much you love him. You can say that every single day in every single moment. And there can’t be any particular day to acknowledge the lessons you have learned from him. So, this post is dedicated to all dads and it is the token of appreciation for their unmatched dedication towards your success. You may not be aware of this fact but your dad, his words and actions do account for a lot you have achieved till date. In this post we are going to discuss some of these entrepreneurial lessons that have made you the person you are today, an entrepreneur.
Dads have always wanted us to grow big. And no matter what our abilities are, we have always tried to make them happy. At some point of our lives, their appreciation meant everything for us. Today, when you have become a successful entrepreneur, this is the tiniest bit you can do for your dad- acknowledge everything that he went through to make you shine. An entrepreneur is one who is able to take huge risks for the benefit of his/her business. Juggling with risks was one of your dad’s most cherished habits to make you grow, right? Hence, the following 5 basic entrepreneurial lessons that you have learned are actually your dad’s contribution towards your future.
5 basic entrepreneurial lessons that our dads taught us
1. Never say ‘No’ to anything before you try your hands at it – This is one of the basic things, which turned out be one of the great entrepreneurial lessons that my dad taught me. And it is common for most of us. Dads always wanted us to give our best to something and never give up just because it seems difficult to achieve. In several instances, we get negative vibes about some work and we try to quit even before giving it a chance. Successful entrepreneurs never do that. They take risks just like their dads did. For example, I have never heard my Dad say NO to anything. And he advised me to do the same which I have been following till date.
2. Never stop dreaming and always aspire to achieve them – The famous entrepreneur Richard Branson, founder of Virgin Group, always acknowledges his Dad’s contribution towards making him dream big in spite of all hassles. Today he holds an estimated fortune of £3.6 billion with his own Virgin Trains and Virgin Airlines but when he first started his career, he had not more than £300 in his pocket. But he did not stop dreaming and trying to achieve his dreams, thinking of his dad at all times and see where he got to. Dads can be really helpful in building our confidence and Branson’s dad did what he deemed best, not only to let his son dream but also build huge confidence to make all his dreams come true. And in a way, he imparted one of the greatest entrepreneurial lessons to his son.]
3. Think, analyze problems and find suitable solutions – Bill Gates, the founder of Microsoft owes his problem solving capacity to this Dad, who was an attorney and one of the calmest people he knew. Once he had said that he used to listen to his Mom and Dad’s conversations over Sunday dinners and he learned a lot from them. Today he is listed as one of the biggest entrepreneurs of his time and this won’t have been possible without his dad, William H. Gates Sr. Dads have this unique way to make us feel secure whenever there is an impending problem. They never let us feel that we are in trouble or that we have to sacrifice a great deal to get out of the situation. Instead they do all the sacrifices needed to keep us untouched. Entrepreneurs like Bill Gates solemnly acknowledge the fact that if it is was not for their dads, they would have never learned one of the biggest entrepreneurial lessons of dealing with problems in an optimistic manner.
4. Motivate yourselves, work hard, laugh loud and live your life – RedBalloon founder Naomi Simson received huge motivation from her dad who believed in her even when she did not believe in herself. Endless motivation is something that we get from a lot of people, the first one being our dads. It is undoubtedly one of the biggest entrepreneurial lessons. Dads are always the one to stand by us even when we tend to flee from our shadows. Simson’s Dad instilled in her the feeling that she can do anything, be anything and achieve anything if she tried with all her heart. And she did! Today she is successful and she solemnly owes it to her dad because she believes that a child who is motivated from the very core can achieve anything he/she desires.
5. Create short term goals to reach your destination – The co-founder of American Bench Craft, a leather goods company in Boston, Jason Angelini, till date remembers what his father taught him and his brother about business and in general – to take one single step at a time. Thus, their main target at the beginning was to make their first sale and today they make millions. Everything happened smoothly as they kept their focus on the single steps they took to grow their business. Even today, both the brothers remember the entrepreneurial lessons given by their dad about creating short term goals and set their goal charts accordingly.
Fathers did a lot apart from raising us. With their wise words and pieces of advice, they shaped our future since the time we did not know what to do with our lives. Today many of us have grown to be successful entrepreneurs and powerful businessmen but we should never forget that the first brick of development was laid by our beloved dads. If you have any more entrepreneurial lessons that you wish to add to the list, feel free to write to us. Or you can even put down your precious thoughts and experiences in the comments section provided below. We will always look up to you and your words no matter how big we grow.